Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie


YUMMMM!!! This is an amazing cookie. I had purchased about a cup of unsweetened shredded coconut from the bulk bins at my local grocery store. I had been planning on blending it up to make coconut butter as I had seen from several online sources. However, my blender was clearly not powerful enough for the said transformation. I did not want the coconut to go to waste so I began looking for a cookie recipe.

I found this recipe and was a little skeptical because there was no picture. And the recipe called for oil instead of butter, making it sound more like a muffin recipe than a cookie one. Add to all this that I do not particularly care for a strong coconut flavor and I am surprised I even tried it. But I am soo glad I did. This might be my new favorite cookie recipe. I kid you not, the dough is to die for. Maybe even better than plain chocolate chip cookie dough (if that is even possible). I think next time I might even fore-go the chocolate chips because this cookie has enough flavor and texture without them.

The dough was a little crumbly when I was scooping it out to put on the cookie sheet. I ended up using my hands to press the balls together. But the cookies came out moist and chewy. Please try this recipe if you ever find yourself with some shredded coconut! I only baked up a dozen cookies and saved the rest as dough to eat or bake later. However, I am pretty confident that I could have made 30 cookies total from the recipe.

Ingredients 
1 1/4 C oatmeal 
1 C flour 
1/2 C sugar 
1/2 C brown sugar 
1 C. flake coconut (mine was blended up into really small pieces) 
1/2 C. chocolate chips (I consider this optional) 
1/2 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1/2 C oil 
1 egg 
1 tsp. vanilla 


Directions
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then mix in egg, oil, and vanilla. Drop onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 12 to 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment