Saturday, July 26, 2014

Cold Oil French Fries


I can't remember where I first saw this idea for making french fries. It looked so much easier than trying to maintain a constant oil temperature while doing small batches of spuds that my interest was piqued enough to give it a try. I didn't have to use an oil thermometer?! I was sold.

It may seem counter-intuitive but I think potatoes fried this way even turn out less greasy than the conventional method! And they turn out delicious!

Ingredients:
Cooking oil
Potatoes
Salt

Directions:

Start by washing your potatoes (I did not peel mine) and cutting them into shoe-string slices (about 1/4-1/3 inch wide). The important thing for even cooking is that they all be relatively the same thickness.

Here is where the magic happens: Put your potatoes in an empty pot. Pour in enough oil to cover the potatoes. Make sure your pot is big enough to have 1.5-2 inches of extra room between the oil and the lip of the pot.

Here is what it will look like


Put your pot on the stove and turn the burner to high. No thermometer necessary! When the oil starts to boil (5-10 minutes later), turn the heat down to medium high. You want the oil to be at a rolling boil the whole time.

After another 5 or so minutes, use some tongs to gently stir the potatoes. This keeps them from sticking together and helps them cook evenly. Check the potatoes every 5 or so minutes and stir gently. First they will go limp. Then they will start to crisp and brown. When they reach your desired level of brownness (for me, usually 30-35 minutes after I start), take them out of the oil and spread on some paper towels to drain. Salt to taste. Let cool for a minute before eating or you will burn your mouth (and fingers)!

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment