Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cinnamon Scones


I finally bought some cinnamon chips. I have been tempted ever since my cinnamon muffin recipe, which called for them (I used a substitute). I almost never see cinnamon chips at the store but during the holiday season I saw them often. I have been trying to avoid unnecessary grocery expenses but I decided if I didn't buy a bag of them now, I would have to wait until Christmas 2013.

I am glad bought them! Now the only problem is I want another bag because I have so many recipes I want to try out. But I am super glad I started with this recipe for cinnamon scones. It was amazing! The recipe made more than I anticipated so I gave some away to friends but now I am almost wishing I had saved them all for myself! Eating one of these is like eating a thick muffin top of a cinnamon streusel muffin - the best part.

And you bet I actually used heavy cream when it called for it. I was lucky enough to have some left over from my amazing chocolate bundt cake. I suppose next time I make this, I will try substituting milk and see how it turns out.

Recipe Source

Ingredients:
 3 C flour
1/3 C sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 C unsalted butter (2 sticks)
3/4 C heavy cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 C cinnamon chips
Topping:
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp heavy cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Mix together flour, 1/3 C sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Cut butter into tablespoon sized pieces and then cut it into the flour mixture as you would in a pie or biscuit dough until mixture resembles course crumbs. Fold in cinnamon chips. 

In separate bowl mix heavy cream, egg, and vanilla. Add to the main mixture, stirring until combined. Place dough on a piece of parchment paper and shape as desired. You can roll it out with a rolling pin or just use your hands to flatten it to 1/2 inch thick. Shape it into a rectangle or circle.

Combine the topping ingredients and then sprinkle over dough, pressing lightly. Cut dough into desired piece sizes. I made mine into about 10 squares and then cut them in half for 20 triangles. If you press it in a circle you can cut pizza-like wedges.

Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy while they are warm!

1 batch makes 8-10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment