Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lemon Bars


I am a chocolate lover. So I rarely make a dessert that doesn't involve some form of chocolate. I especially seldom make lemon bars because they just aren't my favorite. But a co-worker brought these in my last day of work and they were so good I started craving more! That is impressive for a lemon bar. So I asked her for the recipe. I was pleasantly surprised to know that I already had all the ingredients at home.

I made these in a small rectangular dish (I think 7 by 11). The original recipe called for an 8 inch square pan. So my dish was slightly bigger. But the lemon bars turned out quite thick so if you prefer a thinner crust, you can make it in an even bigger dish.

Ingredients:
Crust:
1/2 C butter, softened
1 1/3 C flour
1/4 C sugar

Filling:
3 eggs
1 1/2 C sugar
3 Tbs flour
3/8 tsp baking powder
5 Tbs lemon juice

Directions:
Mix butter, flour, and sugar until crumbly. Press into bottom of pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Don't worry if it doesn't seem like a dough. It should be crumbly. Take out of oven while still white (should not have browned).

Meanwhile, mix the filling ingredients. Pour over the crust. Bake again for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

You will have to wait for the bars to cool before you cut them because the filling has to set.

These are delicious cold out of the refrigerator!

No comments:

Post a Comment