Saturday, May 28, 2011

Homemade Yogurt and Granola



I have made several attempts at homemade yogurt. This was the easiest and most successful try. The secret? Crockpot! Yes, a few years ago I wasn't even aware that you could make your own yogurt at home. Once I found out, I thought it was so neat I would give it a try. My first few attempts came out runny and/or did not work at all. But I think this crockpot method is pretty foolproof. You don't even need a thermometer. All you need is a crockpot, milk, a small amount of yogurt, and time.

Ingredients:
8 Cups of milk (or really any amount, I just used a half gallon)
1 starter yogurt (any plain store bought yogurt cup as long as it has "live and active cultures". I used brown cow this time and it turned out great)
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs vanilla - optional

Directions:
Pour the milk into your crockpot. Turn it on low for 2-3 hours depending on how hot your crock pot gets (you want the milk to reach 180 degrees). Then turn your crock pot off for 3 hours to let the milk cool a bit. Next, take a few cups of the milk and mix it with your starter, the vanilla, and sugar. Then pour back into the crock pot and stir. Put on the lid, cover with a towel to insulate. Let sit for 8-12 hours.

That is it, just leave it alone and the live and active cultures will do their work. The longer you wait, the thicker your yogurt will be. I accidentally let mine sit for 14 hours. It was almost a bit too thick for me - turning into more of a cottage cheese. I think 12 hours might suit me best.

Then here is another secret I learned this time. If your yogurt is still too runny for your liking, line a strainer with paper towels and set over a bowl. Pour your yogurt in and let it drain (in the fridge) for a few hours. Hey Presto! Now you have thicker yogurt and whey. You can save the whey to use as a substitute for water when baking. Apparently really healthy. I am going to try mine out today.

Additional options:
  • You can leave out the vanilla and sugar until you have finished. That way you can set aside some unflavored yogurt to use as a sour cream substitute.
  • You can add any sort of flavoring you want. Jams and jellies. Maple syrup, honey. I blended in some fresh strawberries to make strawberry yogurt.
  • You can freeze in an ice tray to use for smoothies
  • Whey can also be a substitute for buttermilk

Granola Recipe:
Yogurt and Granola! What a delicious breakfast combination. Here is my favorite peanut butter granola recipe:

Ingredients:
3 Tbs butter
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
3 Tbs milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbs peanut butter
2-3 C oats

Directions:
On the stove, melt butter. Stir in sugars and milk. Bring to a boil and stir for two more minutes. Remove from heat. Add in peanut butter and vanilla. Then stir in 2-3 cups of oats until well coated. If you want it crunchier, you can spread on a pan and broil in the oven. Eat as a snack or over yogurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment