Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes


I have been on a breakfast food kick lately. Today I made these pumpkin pancakes and was blown away with how good they were. These were some of the fluffiest pancakes I have ever had. I think the secret is in the egg-white step. The recipe said to beat the egg whites until they were stiff. I did not want to dirty my electric mixer because this recipe had already used up several bowls (I don't like dishes). So I just whipped them by hand until they were frothy. I think it worked great though because the pancakes were delicious.

I used soy milk and vegan butter because I am on a dairy-free diet but I am sure it would taste just as delicious (or even more so) with the "real" stuff.

My only complaint: it was a bit of work for just 8 pancakes. I will probably double the recipe next time and freeze the leftovers so I can enjoy them for many days!

Original recipe here.

Ingredients:

1/4 C flour
1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
1/2 C pumpkin puree
2 large eggs, separated
2 Tbs butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla

*I mixed my own pumpkin pie spice: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground allspice. Makes 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.

Directions:
In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones until just combined. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold in to batter.

Cook 1/4 cup scoops of batter. Makes 8 pancakes. Serve with butter and cinnamon.

2 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I also wanted to tell you that Almond milk is really good if you want to try a different non-dairy milk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually have some almond milk in the fridge right now.(Yum). I have been using it to drink straight. My friend gave me some boxes of soy milk so I have been using them in cooking. My baby seems to have a dairy allergy and since I am nursing, I have to avoid all things dairy.

    ReplyDelete